Paparazzi
Unlike so many
Americans, I’ve never had any desire to be a celebrity. Living your life in the public eye,
unflattering photos on magazine covers, and of course, the dreaded paparazzi. I wish I could convince people in China that
I am someone of absolutely no importance.
It seems, however, that whenever I go to any type of tourist location,
various people are always grabbing my arm and asking in broken English if they
can take a photo with me. Often a photo has
already been snapped by the friend standing by even before a response can
escape my lips. I usually oblige anyway,
smiling awkwardly, as a total stranger wraps his or her arms around me as if we
were best friends. There have only been
a few times that I’ve felt the need to decline.
One such time was recently when I visited a nearby tourist location with
some other Americans. A group of
Northwestern College students from Minnesota (recently renamed: The University of Northwestern, St. Paul),
visited Nanjing. We, and several of my
students, were out together. I guess the
quadruple effect of having 4 American girls in the same place was just too much
to handle because we were honestly being stopped every few steps we took that
day. At one point I think there were 10-15
people taking a picture of us at the same time. Needless to say, it got to a point where we had
to start declining requests. (I’m still
not sure whether the whole experience was more humorous or more
irritating.) In any case, it was really
a fun day with the Northwestern students and my Chinese students. The recent visit from the Minnesota group
was a huge blessing. Pairs of them came
into my English classes for two weeks – assisting in leading discussions,
sharing about their lives in the U.S., learning about my students’ lives in
China, and sharing laughter. My students
enjoyed them so much that they invited them to do things outside of class, such
as the event I just mentioned. Many other sweet times with
students have happened since then and are continuing to happen! China is still a hard place for me to live and
to adjust to, but the underlying peace I have about being here and the type of
work that I get to be a part of make it so worth it.
Love
from China.
 |
| Posing with a stranger. |
No comments:
Post a Comment